News & Events
Health Plan IT Investment Priorities Revealed
October 18, 2012 9:15 AM EDT
October 18, 2012 - Wayne PA – Medecision, the leader in healthcare management solutions, today announced the availability of “Healthcare Payers: Top Investment Priorities for Emerging Healthcare Delivery Models,” a research report focused on the strategies and technology investment plans of health plans through 2014.
Medecision commissioned Porter Research, an Atlanta-based firm that specializes in healthcare IT (HIT) research, to examine the needs and challenges of healthcare payer organizations as they develop and implement care management HIT strategies. The study sought to gain insight on health plan executives’ perceptions of required core technology solutions, to understand key drivers in the evaluation and purchase of care management solutions, and to identify future needs—from technical, clinical, and functional perspectives—of care management solutions, especially to support emerging healthcare delivery models, including accountable care organizations (ACOs) and patient-centered medical homes (PCMHs).
“While health plans have been preparing for a changing marketplace for a few years, the pace and clarity of their plans are ramping, and their technology needs are expanding," said Ellen Donahue-Dalton, executive vice president and chief marketing officer, Medecision. "Our conversations with client health plans and care providers confirm these findings: they are placing escalating demands on core technology platforms—like care management—while actively pursuing investments in analytics and data exchange to power stronger payer-provider connectivity and drive meaningful engagement with members and consumers.”
Key revelations from "Top HIT Investment Priorities to Support Emerging Healthcare Delivery Models" include insights into major strategic initiatives around cost containment and growth, how health plans are integrating provider communications to drive improved outcomes, and the critical platforms for adapting to new care delivery models.
Research participants were executives at U.S. health plans and represented organizations with 200,000 to 900,000 covered lives. Of the respondents, over half (56%) were the medical director/CMO of their plan, and 22% of participants were COOs. Other titles included CEO and vice president, health care services. The plan types represented by the study participants included commercial and managed care plans. Nearly 90% of the participants indicated that care management is an important component of their overall strategy. Over three-quarters (78%) of the study respondents said their plans are either participating or planning to participate in an ACO and/or PCMH, with the remaining 22% indicating that they plan to in the future.
This complimentary research report is available for download here.
About Medecision - Liberating™
Medecision is the leading provider of healthcare management solutions serving national, regional and local health plans, insurers and care delivery organizations, more than 74,000 physician offices, and 44 million consumers. Working within the framework that patients, care providers and health plans are all driving towards better health outcomes, Medecision and its Aerial™ solutions help connect all stakeholders to liberate the highest-quality and most cost-efficient care.
As more organizations transition to value-based care, Medecision continually applies its 24 years of experience, its comprehensive technology platforms, significant investments in research and development, and the broadest implementation and clinical expertise to ensure consumers receive the best possible care. With Medecision as a business partner, health plans and care providers confidently manage through market changes, regulatory updates and new populations, while improving quality and reducing costs.
# # #
Medecision is a trademark of Medecision, Inc. The Medecision logo and product names are also trademarks or registered trademarks of Medecision, Inc. Other product and brand names are trademarks of their respective owners.